Acne / Pimples
Acne / Pimples is a condition of skin when the hair follicles become blocked with oil and dead skin cells. This usually happens due to hormones, but it can also occur due to certain cosmetics or medications. It is known by different names such as blackheads, blemishes, whiteheads, pimples, or zits. Blackheads or whiteheads are mild form of acne. It can progress to pustules and painful nodules in severe form. Face, neck, chest and back are the frequently affected sites. Acne tends to occur in teenagers, but adult-onset acne is nowadays on the rise.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Polycystic ovarian disease
- Genetic predisposition.
- Use of cosmetics such as creams, oil based moisturizers, oil based foundations, etc.
- Application of heavy oil or gel on the scalp leads to pimples on the back and forehead.
- People who work in chemical or oil industries and come in contact with hydrocarbons, heavy oils, cutting oil, wax, grease and coal tar derivatives can develop acne.
- Hot and humid climate.
- Drugs such as oral contraceptives, steroids, isoniazid, lithium, phenytoin, iodides etc. can cause pimples.
- Squeezing or picking at a pre-existing lesion will lead to secondary infection and increased pigmentation.
‘Do’s and Dont’s
- Wash your face at least 2-3 times a day.
- Increase the intake of citrus fruits such as oranges, grapes, lime and lemon and other food stuff which are high in vitamin C and zinc.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Do not pick or squeeze the pimples as this causes infection, pigmentation and scarring.
- Avoid the use of oily cosmetics, cleansing milk and gels.
- Do not apply excessive hair oil if you have acne over the forehead.
- Avoid stress factors.
- Be patient and give medicines some time to act. You may have to take antibiotics for 8 – 10 weeks.
Good news is that there are many therapies that can help you get rid of your acne.
At VIVID, apart from medications, we offer you the advanced acne peels, comedo extraction, cryoslush with liquid nitrogen as per the need of each and every individual patient. We also provide Zit Zapper Treatment for fastest resolution of pimples as required before any party or function.