Advanced Melanocyte Transplantation
Melanocyte Transplantation also known as Non-cultured Melanocyte-Keratinocyte Transplantation Procedure (MKTP) is the latest technique in the surgical management of Vitiligo/Leukoderma. It involves separating melanocytes (cells responsible for color production) from normal skin and transplanting on white spots as a cell suspension after removal of upper layer of skin superficially.
Types of Melanocyte Transplantion
- Melanocyte Transplantation: Melanocyte transplantation is a surgical method which replenishes the melanocytes in the areas devoid of them. A thin, small piece of normally pigmented skin is obtained, usually from patient’s buttock/thigh. Through a highly specialised procedure, normal functioning melanocytes are separated from this piece of skin and made into a liquid suspension. This suspension is applied on to the white patches. Melanocytes, then start to proliferate and produce melanin and within a period of weeks to months, natural looking pigment covers the patches, making them indiscernible from the surrounding skin. This procedure is also called ‘Non-Cultured Epidermal Cell Suspension Transfer’ or ‘Non-Cultured Cellular Grafting’ or ‘Melanocyte-Keratinocyte Transplantation procedure’.
- Advanced Melanocyte Transplantation: In Advanced Melanocyte Transplantaton, we extract melanocytes from the skin directly without removing your skin. Rest of the Procedure is same as mentioned above.
- No Scarring at Donor Area
- No Scarring at Recipient Area
- Relatively Painless
- Day Care Surgery
- Seperation of Melanocytes without removing your skin
- Excellent Color Match with surrounding skin.
Time required for Procedure
Approx. 4-10 hrs. Same Day Discharge.
Starts after 3-4 weeks and usually completes by 4-10 months depending upon the size of Vitiligo Patches.